Record round of grants announced for Mardi Lowry McDonough ’87 Student Opportunity Fund
“We are thrilled to announce that the most recent round of grant funding was record-breaking in more ways than one,” said Michelle Frisco, president of the Education Foundation board. “The Mardi Lowry McDonough ’87 Student Opportunity Fund & Grant Program is growing as an important driver of innovation and opportunity for educators and students.”
In addition to receiving a record number of 48 requests for funding, this round awarded nearly $30,000 to more than 30 projects—the most of any round since the program began.
“The best thing about this program is that it gives donors in the community an opportunity to partner with educators to make a direct impact on current students by covering ‘beyond the budget’ expenses,” said Frisco. “Every grant cycle we are seeing increases in requests, so we are working hard to continue to grow this fund to make more resources available.”
Donors can support the Mardi Lowry McDonough ’87 Student Opportunity Fund & Grant Program by making a secure online contribution. All gifts to this fund stay in the district to fund projects developed and led by teachers at all grade levels.
This cycle of grants includes a range of items from classroom equipment to student experiences, all aimed at enhancing learning opportunities. Here are a few examples:
- Supplies for an Open Mic Night where middle school students can share their writing
- Speakers and speaker stand for live performances by a middle school Rock Band Club
- An environmental pollinator garden project at the high school
- Testing calculators for high school students
- A used sousaphone and sousaphone stand for elementary music
- Multi-lingual classroom materials to support ESL students
- Mindfulness materials for kindergarteners
- Robotic building kits for middle schoolers
- Family Book Club materials for elementary students